Sunday, July 4, 2010

I had a nice Canada Day here in Iqaluit. There was a big tent set up outside the elementary school (the white space station) and there was a festival with music and dancing. The highlight for me was definitely an introduction to live throat singing. Two young women took the mic and throat sang for only about a minute. What an eerie, primitive sound. It gave me shivers, I loved it. Next Friday is Nunavut Day, which is an even bigger celebration, so I am hoping to hear more throat singing then. That also means that next week is a four day week as well :)

On Saturday (yesterday) I had a great day full of hiking out on the tundra. I went out for a few hours in the morning to Sylvia Grinnell Park, a beautiful park only about 10 minutes walk from town. The Sylvia Grinnell River flows through the park, flowing over two waterfalls and that is where most of the fishing for Arctic char around town takes place. I can't wait to try some Arctic char! Apparently it takes a lot like salmon, only better :) Yum! In the late afternoon... I went out again with my soon to be roommate. The pictures below tell the story better than words.

This morning I somehow allowed myself to get sucked into watching Hunt for Red October for probably the 30th time in my life. Dad insisted on watching it every time that it was on TV (and it's on a lot!), and somehow, after all the years of letting dad know every time it was on I have been brainwashed into thinking I have to watch it when it's on TV. Thanks dad, just wasted another two hours of my life ;)

This afternoon? More hiking! Where is my Ella to keep me company?? On to the pictures...

This me over looking Frobisher Bay. That is snow on the mountains in the backdrop.

What a beautiful sunset, eh? And sunset here lasts well over an hour! It kind of reminds me of the northern lights, which I can't wait for!

I'm standing on snow in July!

There are so many of these little land locked ponds on the tundra, the remnants of the winter's snow and ice.
There are losts of signs of caribou kills on the tundra.

This is where the Sylvia Grinnell flows into Frobisher Day.

And this is the upper Sylvia Grinnell. Many famillies living in Iqaluit set up tent-like structures on the river and spend the summer there, much like their ancestors would have. Today the tents are wooden frames with tarps stretched over them and attached. I was inside one and it was quite cozy! There is a little tent city in the picture, but you might have a hard time finding it.

A real Inukshuk!

Clear, cold water... home of the Arctic char.

Melting ice alongside the river.


Another sign of caribou, but where are the live ones??

Isn't this a pretty picture of the setting sun reflecting off the river?
And another...

No comments:

Post a Comment