Thursday, September 16, 2010

Winds of changes...

To everything (turn, turn, turn) there is a season (turn, turn, turn)...

Less than two weeks ago, while dad was here visiting, we experienced the nicest weather of the whole summer. From the time he landed though until he left a week later fall settled in over the land. The first of the vegetation began to turn to red and gold, which, for some reason was surprising to me. When I think of fall colours I, of course, think of trees. I wasn’t expecting to see the same kind of changes with the leafy bits of vegetation that cling to the rocks out on the open tundra, but they’re brilliant. By the end of dad’s trip the colours were in full swing.

It seems though that the warm weather must have boarded the same plane when dad left last Tuesday. Just over a week since he left and the colours are already become dull and fading into brown. And it is starting to get cold! Fall seems to have come and passed in a matter of weeks, instead of months and believe it or not the first snowflakes fell several days ago and the first morning frost clung to the cold pavement on my walk to work. Even the winds have changed... no more summer breezes, these are late fall, early winter gusts that seem to come out of nowhere and catch you off guard, stealing your hat or blowing dust from the sidewalks in your face.

Winter is expected to arrive any moment. If it doesn’t snow before my trip to Calgary this Friday, I can expect to return to snow on the ground when I return a week later.
One positive result of shorter days and cooler weather however has been an increase in the appearance of the northern lights. There was an absolutely spectacular display the other night. My roommate, who has been here for two and a half years, said it was some of the best northern lights she has seen yet. There were three broad ribbons of brilliant green weaving across the sky with waves of dancing streaks shimmering along their lengths. It gave me shivers. I wish I could share some pictures with you, but it wouldn’t do it justice, it is a scene that you just have to experience in person and that I have no doubt I will carry in my memories for a long time to come.

Word has it that I now have a growing base of fans in Yarmouth County and sunny California! One of my devoted fans down in Carleton has been passing my blog along :) Glad to hear that people are enjoying it, I certainly enjoying putting it together!








No comments:

Post a Comment